Enjoy life now... it has an expiration date.



Thursday, September 16, 2010

The Twenty Minute Challenge produces a rather "UnTeresalike" painting


I need to learn to simplify. To focus on the details only when I want to, and learn to see my subject as color and tones masses, rather than this particular object or that.

With that goal in mind I decided to participate in The Twenty Minute Challenge, administered by Teri of Teri's Painted Daisies.... click here for a link to Teri's blog where you can access the TMC (Twenty Minute Challenge) and Cactus Monday... I joined that too!

With the TMC, you get 20 minutes to draw and paint your picture. That's it. No fudging on the time! As my timer counted the minutes down to zero, mild panic set in and I began to sling paint faster and faster! That accounted for some of the sloppiness in this. It was a great exercise, and though slightly nerve wracking when you're getting close to running out of time, it was lots of fun. So nice to just paint and not keep second guessing my choices.

I'm beginning to understand the truth of the statement that "in art quantity equals quality." Read the books, watch the videos, take the workshops... all great tools. But in the end, it's the time at the painting table or easel that makes one an artist.

I've posted my first (and sloppy) TMC painting. Shucks, 20 mins is a minor miracle for me... I consider one day to be a challenge ;-)

12 comments:

Sue Clinker said...

Ummmm well done Teresa ... I really like the simplicity of this - I can't see the challenge working with coloured pencils though 20 minutes (!!!)

irinapictures said...

Great 20min result).
I am afraid of watch and "nerve wracking" when painting, love the process and do not want to time it. On other hand it avoid overworking. On the other hand watercolor paper needs to dry. Do you stop count for that? Will be glad to see more results of yours!

Kathy A. Johnson said...

Good for you stepping outside "the usual." Twenty minutes is not much time...when I took Laure Ferlita's beach class, many of our assignments were 40 minutes (I think...my memory is hazy) and I remember sometimes really having to hurry to finish. I'd make sure every supply I needed was at my fingertips, etc.

I really like the glow of the lamp and the softness of the background.

Laure Ferlita said...

Perseverance, my friend, will win the day! Keep doing those 20 minute challenges and you will be AMAZED at the growth in your skills!

Ann said...

I think it's a great sketch!
Most of the things I do in my sketchbook, that are from when we go on sketch outings, have to be done quickly because of having an inpatient kid along. Not the most fun way to learn to be fast, but effective!

I am happy to hear that you are feeling better :-) It's good to see you blogging again!

Pat said...

and what a smashing little painting.
Fresh, loose and feeling - all in 20 minutes! Well done, you xx

padmaja said...

Good to see you back with your brush! N this is lovely though it is not "Teresa like".. Seems like a good challenge for a person like myself who is finding it hard to let go of details:-)

Unknown said...

Sloppy TMC ..wow I wish I could do as well in 20 minutes.

Great job Teresa. There is something about this that makes me keep looking. I like it a lot.

Mermaid's Palette said...

Looks great! That is exactly what I need to do! I spend so much time on details and over-thinking.
Sheryl

Keith said...

Very Dufyesque.

knittingdragonflies said...

I like this very much, it has a loose quality to it! I laughed when a read about the countdown. I'll have to check this out and try it!
Vicki

K said...

Pretty good for 20 minutes! You'll be amazed at how quickly you'll adapt to the timeframe and much you're skills will grow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...