Tuesday, June 15, 2010
9 x 12 Watercolor on Arches
Let's see how many undesirables we can get into one painting:
- Didn't do thumbnails or value sketch? Check.
- Overworked? Check and Double Check.
- Didn't allow for background colors to lighten as they dried? Check.
- Lost my focus and defined center of interest along with it? Check.
- Changed my mind several times on some colors and altered them (after I'd already put them down = mud)? Check.
- Changed the design as I went along? Check.
But all is not lost. On the bright side the desirables are:
- Got some sketching practice in? Check.
- Got some painting practice in? Check.
- Found a background technique I like? (even though it did dry lighter than expected). Check.
- Found some new color combinations? Check.
- Tried glazing and some of it was successful? Check.
- Helped me understand some of the things I want to improve about my painting? Check.
Let's see.... that's six for six. So, even though this painting will never see a frame and parts of it don't work, there are other parts that I like and I learned a couple of things that may help me get a little closer to where I want to be.
On to the next painting!