Enjoy life now... it has an expiration date.



Thursday, May 21, 2009

Blue Girl WIP #4


9x12, Colored Pencil on Stonehenge with watercolor underpainting.

Made some progress on the Blue Girl. Added a little more detail to her hat and got quite a bit done on the eyes, although I'll add more modeling around the eye area as I model other areas of the face. I've also put three very light cp layers down on her face, covering the initial watercolor wash. I like the look of smooth, soft skin (especially on young children) so I'll be paying particular attention to very gradual color changes as I introduce the shadows and highlights that will bring dimension to the face. Although it doesn't look like I've done that much since the last WIP, there's actually quite a bit of time involved in those light layers and careful painting of the eyes. I took my time doing her eyes as I'm determined to work as often as I can by Laure's motto of "Get in, get it down, get out!".... in other words, as little re-doing as possible.

10 comments:

Douglas Hoover said...

Teresa, your Blue Girl portrait is progressing very well. I love that you're posting your progress as the painting develops.

Have a great time next Friday and soak up that inspiration.

Laure Ferlita said...

She's really coming along nicely. Her eyes really make all the difference.

I wish you better luck with the Get in, Get it down, Get out motto than I've been having lately!

ArtistUnplugged said...

The portrait is looking great, it is awesome to watch the progress along the way. Nice poem for Jeanne!

Michelle said...

Looking good...can't wait to see the finished product.

I started working with colored pencils again recently, but they take sooo long that I get impatient and go back to oils.

Your patience is paying off!

Jan said...

It's looking great - you're so fortunate to be able to do portraits so beautifully!

Gary Keimig said...

Really is looking good. Makes me want to take a stab st trying my great grand daughter that I recently posted on my blog. I never could get the hang of portraiture work.
Be checking in on the finished piece. Good luck

The Weaver of Grass said...

Those eyes are beautiful - and I love the gentleness of your work.

: ) said...

you have great tallent !
i cant wait to see it when its done
:)

Barb Hartsook said...

I love your progress, Teresa, and watching the form take shape. I also appreciate your sharing your process -- I can feel the lightness of the pencils in your hand as you gently paint with them.

I agree with not overworking -- I can very quickly ruin something with a heavy hand, or too much of a good thing.

Teresa Mallen said...

Hi Teresa, I love the detail in her hat! It is great to see the progession from one wip photo to the next. I look forward to seeing more of her face! :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...