Enjoy life now... it has an expiration date.



Monday, November 17, 2008

Magical minute

This morning, quite early, I purposed to capture the rich fall colors of the blueberry bushes in the glow of the early morning sun. The bushes are now bare of berries, but to me they're more beautiful in fall than any other time. The foliage has turned to deep, saturated reds, browns and burgundies, with just a few hints of green on the sheltered side of the bushes.

After coffee I opened the blinds and saw....... frost! Thick, glorious sparkling frost that lay like a shimmering veil across fields, trees and fading garden plants. It sparkled in the morning sun, making the blueberry bushes radiant. Not about to miss this moment, I grabbed a hoodie and my camera and headed outside. The air was cold, brisk, exhilarating. Everything sparkled. Almost as good as snow, I thought. I walked around the bushes to shoot from various angles, my shoes crunching in the frozen grass; then stood still to get some close up shots. That's when I heard it. In the quiet of the morning, I heard a soft drip. Then another. Then another. It was the sound of frost melting in the pale sunshine. By sheer chance I happened to be there at this time. I stood, unmoving, looking and listening. I was awake, I was aware. It was a fleeting moment - like so many of life's moments. Ordinary, yet special. A few more photos around the garden, and when I returned to the blueberry bushes the shimmering veil was gone. But I had seen it; I had heard it. One of those magical minutes in life.

** Will post photos later. Lost my digital camera few weeks ago, and a family member was kind enough to donate one to me, but am not set up to upload photos yet.

6 comments:

Cathy Gatland said...

How wonderful - to be present and aware - look forward to the photos!

"JeanneG" said...

It sounds nice and peaceful.

Lin said...

Ah my sweet -- I KNOW those awesome, glad to be alive, glad to be there, glad to be SEEING, FEELING, HEARING moments that seem to whiz by unnoticed, unappreciated. So very very glad you captured that moment in words, and soon photos, and are generous enough to share that with us .. bless you!

Rosie said...

Aren't those 'now' moments wonderful? I felt just the same when I dashed out to photograph the first soft snowfall a few weeks ago - most unexpected and utterly magical:) Look forward to seeing the photos.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks for visiting Teresa - I came to your site and really enjoyed reading your lovely pieceabout the frost, followed by the thaw. Call again.

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

Would love to see the photos. I love frost although we live so high we see it rarely, mind you that is quite helpful from the point of view of gardening, frost can be a beautiful killer!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...